Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Gotta type it so I don't forget it!

Every year, with the Christmas season, my biggest concern is my kids being a little too honest about their opinions on gifts.  This year was no exception.  On the way to my in-law's, for the extended family gift exchange, I prepped the kids on proper responses.  It went like this:
"Children, the budget for gifts this year was only five bucks.  Now, five bucks doesn't buy much, so if you get something you don't like, I don't care.  You smile, pretend like it's gold and say, "thank you!". 
I made certain children (the ones that I was most concerned would be overly honest) repeat back to me how their response should go, regardless of the gift.  They all did well in rehearsing the script, and we proceeded on to the big event. 

Luckily all of the kids were pretty darn happy with what they got last night, and I didn't have to worry about the honest truths coming out.  Christmas morning, however, was another story...

We were back at the in-laws this morning, Christmas, and everyone is opening gifts from Grandma and Grandpa.  Roxie opens hers, and it's a box.... a Slider Burger Press Box to be exact.  Poor Roxie must have been so sad to see her sisters & brothers opening all of these fun toys, and hers was just a  boring Burger Press, for adults.  But that little smarty pants put a smile on her face, and said "thank you!" to her grandparents!   It was a proud mommy moment for sure!  Of course it turns out that her gift was inside the Burger Press box, and once she was informed of that, she seemed much more pleased with the contents! 

No comments:

Post a Comment